View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 11:52 PM   #18
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
I don't have any data to back this up...and I may be doing it wrong. BUT, the Car Show dealer claims they had found that the 1200# WDH worked best and that is what they sold me. Using 3 links the bars are parellel to the ground as they should be. I do not have to cinch them up overly tight since I have an air bag system on the rear of the TM. Which would be basicaly the same as a reinforced leaf spring I think. I'd like to try some lighter bars, but a pair cost about what I paid for the whole setup! The setup seems to work very well for me.

Seems like if your tongue weight was in the 600lb range, you would want bars stronger than 600 - 800 lbs???? But what do I know!

Good advice i think to call the WDH manufacturer and see what they say. Please let us know!!

Welcome to the site Bob !!!
The WDH is basically "springs". If you put 1-ton truck springs on a 1/2-ton PU. That does not make that PU a 1-ton truck. There are other parts of the truck that may suffer damage if one were to load the truck to the capacity of a 1-ton truck. It will also make that truck ride at the top of the spring when not loaded and result in a very rough ride.

By using a WDH with spring bars that are designed to carry 2-3X the capacity than it is actually operating at, one is essentially doing the same thing as installing 1-ton springs in a 1/2 ton PU. Not that one is loading them up to full capacity but the springs are not doing the job that they were designed to do. Springs are meant to......well......spring or bend to the proper operating level that they were designed for. If the spring does not......spring..... then too much shock loading is transferred to places that the loading should not be transferred to. The very concept of "springing" is to avoid shock loading.