View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #16
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
Is there evidence that tire failures correlate with the use of a WDH, heavier or otherwise?

Rather, the evidence suggests that the tire failures are more directly linked to the the heavier single axle trailers with the 14"tires (especially the 2720's), where they tended to have been close to their capacity in the first place. The factory's move of this part of the product line to the heavier rated 15" tires suggests they reached this same conclusion.

While I can't find any support for your personal theory, I'm pleased to hear that you have decided to use your WDH at least part of the time.
If the tires are "close to their capacity in the first place", common sense should tell one that loading that same tire more by using a WDH, that would exacerbate the problem. Using a WDH that is rated @ 2-3x the actual tongue weight would further exacerbate the problem as the shock-loading would be far greater.

Out of the last 22 camping trips, we used the WDH one time because we were towing in the High Sierras. I brought it along another time because there was a chance of rain. Like I said......I just don't like messing with the thing and it has little value on my TV, on dry pavement.