View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #13
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I would suggest that you contact the manufacturer (not the dealer) of whatever brand WDH that you decide on. Give them your vehicle wheel base, the distance from your trailer tongue to the center of the rear axle, the tongue weight and approx how much weight that you will be carrying behind the axle of your van.

They should be able to give you a recommendation on the WDH that is properly suited for your set-up. Every set-up is different and as long as you are going to buy a new WDH, you might as well get the correct one.

BTW........your HD rear springs are of no consequence when it comes to moving the weight back onto your front wheels for control issues. They may help with sagging but not with weight distribution.

The problem with the TM is that the axle is mounted far back on the trailer, the trailer is very close to maxed out for the rating of the axle. When using a WDH, you put more load on the axle and with the axle mounted farther back, the shock-loading on the tires may be an issue.

We have seen a lot of tire problems on the TM and I have a theory that it may be (partially) due to the shock-loading from the WDHs used. The heavier the rating on the spring bars on the WDH, the more shock-loading that is transferred to the trailer axle and tires.

It has little to do with how the spring bars are tensioned while in a static position. It has to do with the amount of spring tension that is applied while on a rough or wash-board road. The maximum that a 600# spring bar will transfer is half of what a 1200# spring bar will transfer. The point is, this is unnecessary because it has nothing to do with the braking ability of the tow vehicle. It only adds to the stress on the trailer. Over-kill is completely unnecessary.

I have a 600# rated WDH for my rig. I seldom use it because I have a bad back and I don't like messing with the thing. However, if I am going on a long trip or driving in the mountains, I do use it. My TV has a very long WB (157") and does a good job of handling the trailer with no noticeable loss in front wheel control on dry roads. I'm not willing to risk testing it on wet roads so I do use the WDH if there is a chance of rain (which is seldom in SoCal). The 600# WDH does a fine job on my rig.