View Single Post
Old 06-25-2022, 10:24 AM   #7
JohnMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I'm a little confused. When you push the red piezo button, you should feel and hear a loud "WHACK" noise right at the red button itself. This noise would make it impossible to hear the small "snap" of the spark at the burner end of the spark plug cable. So when you say you are "hearing no clicking from the piezo igniter", do you mean that there is no large WHACK? The button has gone wimpy in some way?

If so, then you definitely need to replace that assembly behind the front panel - not the spark gap at the other end of the spark plug wire. This assembly is similar to the snapper on a propane barbecue, though most like not identical. Several years ago, I mounted one of these BBQ snappers from a hardware store on the stovetop apron, and used it to light the oven burner. Worked great - but I could not hear the actulaal spark inside the oven cavity.

Bill
Bill,

Yes...you are correct, and your response is helpful in confirming that I need to replace the piezo lighter switch at the front. I hear no large "whack" at the piezo lighter end on the front of the refrigerator. Also, in the past, I could feel the clicking when pushing in the red piezo button, which I no longer feel. Something must have broken, or as you state, gone "whimpy" within the piezo lighter assembly. I presume once I move the fridge out a few inches, it will be obvious how to disconnect the old one and connect the new one.

John