View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 07:20 AM   #14
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED-n-KEL View Post
Oh, ok. I was wondering "what the heck??"
My point would then be aimed at TRAILMANOR directly.... how can they say that when the users are here, and have continued to come up with higher numbers? A TV with a TC of 3500 or even 4000 is simply not enough for even the smallest TM.

Anyone knowingly towing over the capacity of their TV is as irresponsible as someone driving "under the influence". Basically, your behavior is a danger to you and everyone around you on the road. It's not a matter of "your opinion", it's a matter of what is safe, and this practice is obviously NOT SAFE. Someone driving after drinking 1 beer may feel "all is well", until he kills a family. He ends up in jail.
You are mistaken. For other than commercial vehicles or heavy trucks, towing limits are simply guidelines that are proposed by manufacturere from a variety of factors (including transmission durability, for example), and are not referenced in the motor vehicle code of any of the states I went looking at. Please see if you can find a reference that says otherwise.

There is no vehicle that is automatically safe, and very few vehicles being used the way they were intended are automatically dangerous. What makes vehicles dangerous is how they're driven. Please go ask a state patrol cop about all this (especially your comparison to DUI), and share with us what you learned.

From the simple physics, all vehicles are substantially safer at slower speeds. Everyone has substantially more "safe" towing capacity at 50mph than at 75. If you drive appropriately for your load and conditions, you are driving responsibly in my state, and probably yours, too. This is a gray business, not a black and white business. I submit that it would be more dangerous to hop on the interstate with overconfidence from the scale numbers than it would be to thoughtfully and cautiously tow a TrailManor a few hundred pounds above the GCWR.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote