View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Cyndi -

The real question is not whether it is lifted - we all (including me) got bogged down in that question for quite a while. The real question is whether or not you have sufficient clearance above the tire, so that the suspension can compress without driving the tire up into the wheel well liner.

This is easy to determine. With the TM open, take off the fender skirt, and measure the amount of clearance between the top of the tire and the wheel well liner above it. Dexter Axle says there should be 3 inches of clearance, to allow complete compression of the suspension. If you have a bit more than 3 inches, you are good to go with the conversion.

I don't know whether Dexter's required clearance was from a fully relaxed state (no weight on the axle and so no compression) or from a loaded but static state. So I assumed it was from loaded - the worst case. In my case, I had almost exactly 3 inches with the old 14 inch tires, so when I installed the 15 inch tires, I had a bit less than three inches. I decided to go ahead with the conversion anyway, since I expect never to encounter a situation in which I will fully compress the suspension. I'm taking a chance, of course, but I'm willing to accept the risk - and drive accordingly.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote