View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 02:57 PM   #6
bebotx

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the safety reminder! I always cook my eggs "well done" or use them in recipes that cook them thoroughly (muffins, etc.). Even if not "pooled" there's a salmonella risk whenever eating eggs. Unless I'm cooking them, I buy pastuerized eggs from the grocery store.

Here's the guideline for cooking them from your source:
To lower the risk of getting sick from bacteria, cook both the egg yolk and the white until firm (145°F). There is a risk in eating "soft-boiled," "sunny side up," "over easy," or "soft scrambled eggs." There is also a risk in "from scratch" Caesar salad dressing or other foods made with raw or undercooked eggs. This can include soft custards, meringues on pies, Hollandaise Sauce, and even French toast. Raw cookie dough isn't safe, either.

When cooking or baking foods with eggs in them, you can be sure the bacteria have been killed if the temperature has reached 145°F or above.

"*Note: Some retail stores now carry pasteurized eggs for the home cook. Look in the refrigerator section. It should say, "pasteurized whole eggs" on the carton. Egg substitutes are also pasteurized.
Happy & healthy camping everyone!

Betty
bebotx is offline   Reply With Quote