View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokilo View Post
When was the last time you did the lockup test with your 14" tires? If it was a a few years ago then the following may be a remote possibility. You may have corrosion in the wiring to the brakes which is adding resistance to the circuit, decreasing your braking current and your braking power. It could be anywhere in the brake circuit common to both wheels but some areas are very vulnerable. The wire nuts used to connect the magnet wires to the brake wires are open to the elements and the wire can turn to powder over time. Corrosion in the drivers side connections (which feeds both brakes) could effect braking of both wheels.

I have had to replace both my brake assemblies because the magnet wires corroded right back through the backing plate into the drum. That on a 5 year old TM with no road salt exposure. In my case the circuit to the drivers side magnet went completely open which lead me to find the corrosion.

I have upgraded to 15" tires and will be upgrading my controller to a Prodigy II in a few days once I finish the brake replacement and rewiring. It will be interesting to see where I get lockup.

Hope you don't have creeping brake crud.

Peter
Many folks on this board have reported that they cannot achieve brake lockup by simply following the Prodigy instructions. Remember that those instructions are general in nature, and that most travel trailers nowadays have two axles.

Since TM only has one axle, the weight on each tire, and therefore the traction of each tire is double that of a two axle travel trailer. It is therefore harder to lock them up.

In my case, my Prodigy p2 is set on 6.0. The truck and trailer stop normally, and when I trigger the trailer brakes manually I get a good solid tug from behind. I have never gone "all the way" on the settings to lock them up, but I'm satisfied with the braking power I have.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote