View Single Post
Old 04-07-2017, 09:20 PM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

We came to the same conclusion for different reasons. Since 1972 I have always had a tow can (and usually a tandem axel car trailer for a race car). Originally I had a station wagon (true it was a GTO station wagon but still...). Then a Minivan with a 3800 engine. Did everything I needed but wanted "more". Gave the van to my sister and after a LOT or research bought a new (with rebates was less than a large more than a '11 with 10k miles) Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x2 (have never felt any need for a 4x4 even when living in Michigan) with 3.6 Pentastar, a 24 vale DOHC 6 with VVT i&e (not sure what variable lift buys you over VVT) that tows not only the TM but also loaded largest tandem axle U-Hauls (now those kill MPG) and cars (mostly use a dolly now).

One reason it gives about 1-2 MPG better than the other GCs is because it is the lightest one, about 1,000 lbs lighter than a 4x4 Overland. Only had a few options but the major one was the Factory Towing Package rated for 5,000 lbs and almost perfect 50-50 weight distribution. With all independent suspension and both front and rear sway bars it really handles very well.

Strange thing is that I have been driving it more than my other cars (click on .sig). So while there are better drivetrains (the Ford EcoBoost 3.5 comes to mind), I really like the GCs overall package (and am the type of person who creates spreadsheets of gear ratios).

Besides it costs a lot less than a Merc ML350 (same chassis).