View Single Post
Old 12-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #7
Splash

I know this is a year old discussion but I am interested in your solution, Cynical, if you are still around. I have a similar problem...

In 2001 I bought a new 2001 TM 3023 from a Colorado dealer, and for 18 years it was running on US public roads under the VIN on the dealer sales slip. I sold it last year to a person in New Mexico and the new owner tried to get it titled but couldn't because they found that the stamped VIN was different (as the seller, I feel terrible about this) . I called Colorado DMV and they are saying I have to bring the trailer back to Colorado and get a certified VIN check in the county it was titled, and then resell it. That's a lot of wasted gas.

Did you somehow get this done with affidavits or other paperwork ? I wonder if the difference is that you were 2 owners past the original. I have all the sales paperwork but neither the dealer nor original TM exists any more, and the new TM manufacturers never got old paperwork sent from the original mfr.

Vin check is hopefully now required everywhere for titling but in 2001 it was not (and crap like this is likely why it IS required now) . My paperwork shows "serial number" which, as a much younger and maybe stupider person (debatable whether I'm any smarter now), I did not equate serial number with Vin and never dreamed that it might be wrong from the original manufacturer.

Looks like 2001 a bad year for TM Vin standards.
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote