Thread: Towing Basics
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 10:11 AM   #12
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Not that I don't believe you, but I don't see the connection as to why towing would increase the temperature of power steering fluid. I would have thought that the power steering fluid temperature was more related to air temperature and frequency of turning the steering wheel.

For someone towing without WD bars when they should have them, resulting in weight reduction on the font axle, I would have expected that to lower the power steering fluid temperature.
Some factory tow packages come with a P/S cooler. You can see the P/S cooler on my truck on the right side of the radiator.

Think about how much more maneuvering that you do while towing the trailer. Not necessarily on the open highway but in the city and especially when backing. Backing and turning the wheel multiple times at dead slow speed really heats up the P/S pump.

The other thing is, when you are braking and turning at the same time, there is a lot of load transferred from your tow to your steering wheels. The big heat generator is backing and maneuvering though.

One more thing......petrol based fluids burn quite easily when over-heated just one time. Most have a max operating temp of around 300*. After 300* the fluid (being organic) burns and loses it's lubricating qualities. Synthetic fluids have a max operating temp of around 600* and, by it's composition, does not "Burn".

If you open up most high mileage (and some low mileage) P/S systems, you will find that the fluid is black. Some of that is contaminates but a lot of it is burnt.