View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 10:15 AM   #10
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
Wire nuts should never be used on a trailer IMO.

These work great:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/200-H...mZ280281070568

I always keep a good selection of them. They have heat-shrink built into the connector and they have a sealer that seals the connector when heated. These are great for trailer and marine applications. No solder needed.
Interesting conclusion you have reached. My limited experience is different.

I have found that most people can mange to tighten a wire nut properly (aka ScotchLock).

However, many people do not properly crimp a crimp on connector. The only electrical failure I have encountered on my TM was a crimp on connector behind the fridge for the left rear brake light. Someone at the TM factory performed a crimping operation that only lasted three years.

As you likely know, but perhaps some other readers do not, there are two types of crimping tools. One just squeezes it flat while the other sorta pushes a dimple into the center of the connector.

The former is easier to undo. The latter usually will last longer.

I do like the built in heat shrink feature of the connectors that you mentioned.

For a "permanent" splice I still prefer to solder it and then either shrink wrap or electrical tape it. I ahve never had one of my splices fail.