View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #12
ng2951

Quote:
...I take it that getting a 3124KS using the same TV would be totally unrealistic.
Yes, 3500# is really about as low as you ever want to go.

One other thing to do that rest of us learn after we have done it wrong 2 or 3 times. Get the TV for next sized trailer you are thinking of owning. I have done that maybe twice (once if you consider that the first TV was bought without thinking about a trailer at that time). It is far better to have more TV than less, and make sure it is equipped with your mission in mind.

In my last example I was going to get 2WD drive Dodge 2500 diesel. The pardette wanted something a little larger and luckily we bought a 4WD GMC Sierra with the LBZ engine.

It was a little overpowered for whatever we thought we might buy in TT. Plus I did not like the 4WD because I wanted all the economy I could get. Well the first time I dragged the new TH out to the range I hit a soft spot and the wheels started spinning. Put it into 4WD and the whole rig moved through slog without a care. Since we go there a lot, I know I can get out if I hit that mud patch again!

My buddy says when he bought his Dodge 3500 diesel he save $6K by getting 2WD. Which he says was good because he had to buy a $6K winch to pull truck and rig out of all the places he got stuck.

So far, I am one of two people in our club with 4WD. It is something to consider when evaluating you next TV purchase.
Quote:
...I will check with the dealer to find out exactly what was included with the tow package. I like the idea of adding a Trans cooler...
If you do not have tranny cooler I would certainly get one, especially if your TV package is only rated for 3500#.

I cannot say that there has been any aftermarket device for my truck that I value more than the ScanGauge. It has taught me more about what speed is best for my entire package, lets me judge just how far I can push that tank of gas, and still give you transmission temperature.

For my diesel it showed me my best cruise speed was 66 MPH and best range cruise was 55 unloaded. I am still closing in on loaded cruise speeds, but after a time you can even tell which way the road is sloped!