View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
5 years old, and still a really bad idea. The TM isn't built or balanced for substantial weight back there. If this is really important, put a hitch receiver for it on the front of your tow vehicle.
That would likely block the headlights.

As I said in an earlier post, I think it is possible to carry a motorcycle behind the tail gate of my truck and in front of the TM.

Use a Super hitch. This is a double receiver, over and under. You can then attach up to a 4 foot long hitch bar. It is intended for towing boats behind a truck with a camper that sticks out the back.

I think a 2 foot extension would be adequate for my 300 pound motorcycle.

You will likely have to modify a motorcycle carrier to be attached to the hitch bar. At least one motorcycle carrier has a hydraulic jack built in so that you can load low and then jack the motorcycle up to get it out of the way.

Extending the hitch bar will make it more likely to drag while using driveways to get into gas stations.

Because of the amount of weight and the fact that it is so far back behind the truck axle, it might require a one tone dually to carry the load, depending on what else you carry.

My initial estimate is that I could set it up for a little less than $2,000.

Not knowing if it would actually work with my 2500HD long bed truck, I have not been inclined to spend that much money. Especially since the bed of the truck would be carrying a 700 pound ATV.

So I gave up. I bought a second truck. One tows the TM. The other tows the ATV trailer. I frequently have 2 ATVs and 4 motorcycles. It would be rare that I had 1 ATV and 1 motorcycle. That would only be when the trip was just my wife and I. I the kids (are they still kids at 27 and 30?) go with us then we take more toys.

It is not possible for me to put both the ATV and the motorcycle in the bed of the truck. It might fit if I load the ATV first and then push it sideways to free up more space on one side. But I am certain that I can not push a 700 pound ATV sideways.

Now I never thought about using rollers. That might work.

Still makes me wonder what my final squat would be.