View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
PopBeavers

The Pilot appears to be able to tow either 3500 or 4500 pounds, if you have the factory tow package. 3500 is not enough. I do not understand what you need to get to the 4500 pound rating.

Assuming you have a tow capacity of 4500 pounds, you will have to pack lightly. The kids can not bring all their stuff. They can not bring any friends. Travel with no water. Travel with holding tanks empty.

Some people like a margin of safety. The "80 percent" rule is used by some of us. A tow vehicle with a factory rating of 5000 pounds can tow 4000 pounds.

Imagine the following scenario:

towing downhill
on a curve
off camber
road is wet
panic stop becomes necessary

Either make sure you have a vehicle to handle that situation or make sure you never encounter that situation. An under powered engine is not much of a safety issue. Under sized tow vehicle brakes and a short wheel base can become a safety issue.

I am pretty conservative. I have more tow vehicle that I need. My budget is likely different than your budget.

I agree that the difference is small between the TMs that you listed. Small enough that if the Pilot can handle one of them, then it can handle the others. Just be sure to pack lightly. Consider weighing it the first time out on a short trip close to home with no major hills. Then you will know how heavy you really are and can make some adjustments to what you take with you.

You can, if the budget allows, get a larger tow vehicle if you are unhappy with the current one.

I had to slam on the brakes once to make a panic stop while towing. Fortunately, it was a flat dry straight road. I am happy to report that I think I can stop just as fast when towing as I can when not towing. I was going 45 mph when I engaged the ABS brake system on my truck to stop as fast as the equipment was able to. I feel about as safe as anyone can in the ability to make a panic stop.

If you want to downsize from the Tundra, what else is out there that is a little bigger than a Pilot?

This is just my opinion. I do hope that some Pilot owners jump in to offer their experience.