View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 04:36 AM   #17
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
......................snip.......................

Third - does it have the FACTORY version of the "swing hitch"?
If so, then you will need to weld on a couple of strength enhancing plates (or hire somebody to do that for you.) Be sure to check carefully, whether it is already cracked- that weakness would make repair more complicated. The factory version of the "Swing Hitch" from 2005 had "issues", newer models don't.
If the swing hitch was installed by the dealer, then it probably has no issues. For example, Dinuba's welder, in Central California, designed and built a far superior "Swing Hitch". (I've got one of theirs; he's now retired form the business.) I think that the Car Show (in Colorado) also makes a great one. Custom RV was the first designer of such a hitch, before it became an option at the factory - but I don't know whether an old hitch, made by them, would have the same "issues" as the OEM Factory version did.
On our 2011 the factory swing hitch still had so many issues we had it removed. There were just to many cracks and weld failures.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote