Thread: Need Advice
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice View Post
My husband and I are looking at purchasing a new 3023 Trail Manor and would like some feedback. We have camped for 30 years starting with tent camping. We purchased our first pop up years ago and later moved to a travel trailer only to be flipped by a semi on the interstate, thus moving us back to a pop up. I am afraid to pull big anymore and really like the idea of a trail manor as it looks alot easier to set up than a pop up (not that a pop up is difficult to set up). I really like a lot of the features that a Trail Manor has including the bathroom. I would really like some pros and cons as to what you like with a trail manor and what you don't. I do not know anyone that has one so it is difficult to learn first hand experience. Thanks in advance
What area do you live in?

Try doing a search on craigslist for "Trailmanor". Go out and look at one. Have the seller set it up for you.

Any model will have the same basic set-up as the 3023. The 3023 may be a bit bigger or smaller than the ones that you look at but the set-up and concept will be the same.

IMO, our TM is a LOT easier to set-up than our Coleman PU. No more "cranking", messing with canvas supports, shepards-hooks and bed braces. Not as much bending. My wife and I are in our mid 60's and just got tired of the hassle of a canvas PU. The TM suites us very well. It's not as convenient as a TT while towing and sight seeing but it's not that much more to set-up when you get to camp. As you well know, even a TT takes some time to get into "Camp-mode".

You are right......the trailers tow easier than any trailer that I've ever towed. IMO, it towed better than the 2002 Coleman PU that I used to have. Although, don't get fooled by the dry weight on these trailers. It's important to have a vehicle that is fully capable of towing to GCWR of the 3023 plus all of your passengers and cargo.

The 3023 has a GVWR of ~5000#. I'd suggest that you have a TV (tow vehicle) that has a GCWR = 5000# + all of the cargo and passengers that will be in the TV.

General consensus on this board is that one should have a TV with a MINIMUM tow rating of 5000#. You will have to determine if this is adequate for you your needs or comfort level.