View Single Post
Old 07-29-2003, 07:24 PM   #6
Happytrails

Default Re:Adding Solar Panels

Whoh Ray, be very careful of the placement, you WILL have to adjust your torsion springs by adding them, if too heavy, might have to buy all new ones as I was told by Jimmy Davis at the TM plant when I was considering adding roof air. (That's about 100.00 a pop, x4, if it's that much heavier a setup). Chosing to find a side air unit which mine was made for, I simply removed my awning, (because I was thinking about getting a new one, and didn't want to drill any holes in all the new aluminum I added in the top before that decision was finalized), and see a SIGNIFICANT difference in how my TM closes, opening's fine tho I'm sure it scrapes a bit, the seals for the most part protect it, but when I go to close it, (by another member of this board's description, which fits it best), it calliwhumps down, scraping all over the awning side because it's adjusted PRECISELY to the weight of the awning that is supposed to be there! (no, the springs aren't "that" forgiving, they have to be adjusted for like every 10lbs or maybe more, not sure, but to be on the safe side, lets say 10lbs). Just be very careful Ray about the weight distribution as you'll wind up scraping up your windows and such if you're not aware of that. I would suggest before you glue them down, do your best to distribute the weight equally, and try opening and closing the top and see how it goes, never mind if it gets hard to open for the extra weight, that can be adjusted later, just make sure it opens up SMOOTHLY.....without rubbing or "callywhumping".

Next, may I suggest "Gorrilla Glue" as an adhesive? You can seal them with silicon still, or whatever ya want, but that stuff is rock solid, and won't give.....no matter what, and if ANYONE in this room knows a way of removing it in any way, PLEASE let me know, I have a few dribbles I can't even scrape off with a knife it's that strong! (Body shops use it in fact to secure molding and such it's so strong!) Might have to get my Dremel tool after it I guess, and paint underneath when I hit aluminum? LOL (Nah, I'd much rather simply find a solvent that would get rid of it rather than do that). It's a bit expensive, but worth it, and will bond aluminum to aluminum, or whatever with NO WORRIES ABOUT ANYTHING coming lose! lol Lets put it this way, dunno what TM is using to glue the aluminum in there now, but after removing the wood from mine to replace out, I peeled back the stretchy glue from the aluminum like a sunburn peeling. Gorrilla Glue, um, I think the area would have to be cut out, then the aluminum skin probably could not be removed in one piece with a chisle and a hammer even! Dunno much about epoxy's, but this stuff bonds to aluminum WELL! (And it looks so innocent simply sitting in the bottle like a typical Elmer's glue only brown). LOL I can CERTAINLY speak from experience on that stuff!

Anyway Ray, please keep the things I said in mind while doing your project, and you should be ok....(Especially about the weight thing)......Anyway, hope I'm of help!

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails........[/glow]