View Single Post
Old 07-23-2003, 03:51 PM   #1
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Adding Solar Panels

I placed an order today with RV Solar (http://www.rvsolarelectric.com/inform.htm) for their "Jumbo" (120 Watt) Solar Kit plus an additional 50 Watt panel. The kit comes with panel, 30 feet of UV resistant wiring, and a 16 amp charge controller. I had them add an extra 20 feet of wire to be confident of getting all the way to the battery compartment in the back of my TM (2720SL). Total came to $950 and since that was close to their free shipping minimum of $1000 (and I'm a really nice guy ), there was no shipping charge.

After discussing the TM's roof construction with the sales rep, he recommended pop riveting each panel's Z-mount (4 per panel) to a square sheet of aluminum stock (each at least 4 to 5 inches square) , then glueing the squares to the roof with either a marine adhesive or liquid nails. He said the marine adhesives (Plexus?) are stronger, more water resistant, and cure to a clear (or white) color. Now all I gotta do is find some marine adhesive in this town-of-very-few-boat dealers (or order online). Suggestions on the adhesive (and sources) would be most welcomed.

The plan is to mount these panels lengthwise in parallel on the curb side of the TM (with the shorter, 50 watt panel toward the center.

Will post more (and provide pictures) when the parts come in next week.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote