View Single Post
Old 08-24-2023, 10:44 AM   #9
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyTR View Post
Deb,
We used the system on our spring trip, 28 days and 8,300 miles. We mainly kept the amplifier in the truck and were very pleased with the results. Since we make a similar trip both spring and fall we could certainly tell a difference in the performance of our phones with the WeBoost turned on. I believe there were 6 or 7 nights where our signals in the camper was so weak we were unable to stream data for the computer and for watching TV. On these occasions I move the amplifier from the truck to the camper (remember I have antennas mounted on/in the truck as well as the TM). Once inside the camper, we were able to use our devices without issue. We did have two nights where we had zero cellular signal and in that case, the WeBoost did nothing...but we tried.

To keep from having to add an extension to the antenna coax, I moved the routing from the external TV antenna to basically straight left across the roof and came down the left exterior wall (in alignment with the forward lift strut). Ran the cable down the front left strut, and drilled a hole in the floor to get the cable inside the camper. By doing this, I did not have to use a cable extension. If your 2720 has the front living-room slide, you probably could NOT run the cable in through the floor as I did. In that case, coming down the rear wall/strut may be the only option.

While it is a bit of a pain to move the amplifier between the truck and camper...in reality, it only takes a couple of minutes. I remain very pleased with using this system. OH...only twice did I have to actually raise my TV antenna (which raised my WeBoost antenna and moved it from laying horizontal near the roof to standing vertically 18" above the TV antenna), to get enough signal to be able to use things. In those two cases, we were close to zero cell signal...but the WeBoost was able to make enough difference that we could get online with the laptop and watch a little streaming TV on those nights.

Again...I remain very pleased with this system, both in the truck and in the camper.
Thanks Travis. So good to hear that it worked well for you. Yes, I have the front slide on my TM. But since it is a 2720, I might be able to use that rear strut. The shell would be a bit shorter than yours - maybe not enough to make it workable, but I can do some measurements.

Do you have a picture of how your antenna is mounted to the TV antenna? No rush. Just next time you might be up there. I have to close mine up shortly to do some maintenance on the gears (never been done by the PO from what I can tell - it is STIFF!!) and I will do some measuring. And I think mine is a little off-kilter TBH. Antenna wing just touches & sits on the edge of the street-side vent cover, so I may need to look into re-aligning the mount, if that is even possible. Also need to check the distance from the antenna to the ac shroud.

And thanks for that link to checking signal strength! Incredibly informative. Nice to actually have a way to check the real strength of my signal rather than looking for bars.