View Single Post
Old 02-21-2023, 09:19 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyTR View Post
I had originally wanted to run the cable across the roof to the left rear corner of the front shell and then down the back edge of the roof and down the lift arm with the other cables. But after careful measuring, I would not have enough coax to make it to the amplifier without adding an extension. Maria at WeBoost did not recommend an extension because of signal loss.
I don't think Maria is giving you the full story, and I understand why.

What kind of coax do you have? It should be marked on the outside of the cable with an RG-xx number. It sounds like you are short by only a few feet.

Signal loss in a coax cable is proportional to length, and it is also proportional to frequency. Your coax is probably RG-6, which is used in satellite TV systems where the frequencies are in the same range or higher than cell phone frequencies. And if you are talking about only a few feet of extra cable, that won't make any significant difference (I would be concerned if you were talking 100 feet).

However, a common source of signal loss is in connectors, especially cheap connectors from Radio Shack or Best Buy, and especially if they are user-assembled. Maria is concerned that you will make your own extension cable, do a poor job, the system won't work, and you will blame the equipment and return it. As I say, I don't blame her. On the other hand, if you buy a factory-assembled cable with the same RG-xx number and factory-assembled connectors, and make it long enough to do the entire run by itself - not an extension, in other words - you should be fine.

Let us know.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote