View Single Post
Old 07-22-2022, 08:19 AM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
My AC turned on OK ran continuously for about 2 hours. It then attempted to start, could not, attempted over and over a number of times but never started. It then started to smell like it was burning.
As Rickst pointed out, these capacitors are by far the most common point of failure, and although they hate low voltage, they often seem to fail for no real reason at all. And yes, they stink when they fail. It is easy to visually recognize a failed cap. Just climb up on the roof - take a couple of 2x2 pieces of hardboard or similar to distribute your weight - take off the shroud (three or four Phillips screws), and look around inside. The manual for the unit will show you exactly where the capacitors are located, and the one that has failed will be apparent. It is easy to remove, so remove it and take it to the parts desk at any RV dealer, and get a replacement for less than $20. Or buy it online if you have time.

It is my experience that RV service places love these failed capacitors, because they can pull a long face and tell you that the compressor has failed, and it is cheaper to replace the entire A/C unit than to replace the compressor. Again, just my experience - until I had a failed capacitor and saw how cheap and easy it was to replace it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote