View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 08:23 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Stewart -

The tire pressure stated in the TM manual, as well as the pressure stated on the TM decal, only refer to the tires that were on the TM when it left the factory. If you change the tires, then the pressure recommendations may change. This is true no matter what TM model you have.

As Mecicon said, the pressure that is stated on the tire (molded into the tire sidewall) is the governing number, and should always be trusted. Padgett, as I recall you found some sort of weird dual rating on the TM decal, and never figured out what it meant. But always, always, trust the rating molded into the tire.

Bruce, in my experience, the pressure rating for the steel rims (not the tires) is stamped inside the rim, where you can't see it without removing the tire. Unless I am reading it wrong, your first sentence seems to jump between rim pressure rating and tire pressure rating. The rim rating should always be equal to or higher than the tire rating, of course, but there is no guarantee that the tire jockey made sure this was true. In other words, it is quite possible to put a Load Range E tire (80 psi) onto a rim that is rated for only 65 psi. This can lead to rim failure, of course.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote