View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #19
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
Tom,
You have a great tow vehicle. But 90% of our driving is not towing, and the around-town part of the story with 13-14mpg is a problem compared to the 19-20mpg we're used to (19.6mpg, according to the car computer, for the approximate total of 16000 miles in the last 12 months or so, working, playing, towing, local, highway, everything).

Per pound on the road, we have 50% more torque and 100% more hp than we did in the motorhome we drove as we last crossed the Continental Divide in an RV. I agree that it has been too long since our last visit, and current data with a TrailManor should be a priority. However, I'm pretty sure that our next trip will confirm that traffic is a substantially greater problem on the Interstate highways than the upward side of the passes or the altitude once we're there.

The Motorhome taught us that doing more with less is better RVing because it involves less maintenance, better economy, better access to the places we visit, and safer travel, too.
No doubt about it, lighter vehicles get better gas mileage. The choice of a TV is a very personal decision. Many factors influence it. BTW, I just looked at the window sticker that was on my truck when I bought it. The gov't rated it at 15/21. The best mileage I have ever seen with it was driving on the local freeways on cruise control at 55 mph-24.0 mpg on a 75 mile run out to Riverside and back.

To me, safety is a BIG factor. I once experienced the violence of a head on collision. I believe that my '57 Ford's heavy ladder frame plus the seat belts I had installed myself saved me from serious injury. If I had been driving some economy car I would probably not be posting this. The other guy, a 16 year old kid who had been driving one week, was in his daddy's 63 Chrysler station wagon.

Another time, in '88, I hit a cow near Kayenta on the Navaho reservation. That time our '77 Impala saved our backsides. The whole front end was smashed...but that good full size car didn't crush at all. The F-150 has 5 star safety ratings for all tested scenarios.

I was made aware of another safety issue yesterday. As I was driving along in that strong crosswind, a class C motorhome passed me doing maybe 60 mph. He was rocking back and forth and struggling to keep it in his lane, weaving back and forth. I really appreciated all 5000 pounds of truck at that moment.

Incidentally, our mpg from Lake Isabella to home, around 300 miles and crossing some small ranges of hills/mountains was 17.2.

Keem 'em rolling.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote