View Single Post
Old 03-09-2022, 03:11 PM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by YNPKing View Post
In 2014 when I brought my new 2417 Sport, it came with Goodyear tires. I changed them out for the same brand after they were 3 years old. Tire brand, size, and load range are all important factors but I rate tire maintenance just as important if not more so. I was told at the factory based on their experience to maintain my tire pressure at the maximum indicated on my tire sidewall which was 50 psi. And, if the date code on the sidewall indicates 3 years old, consider changing them for new tires unless mileage indicates an earlier date. This has worked for me towing some 20,000 miles.
I have always heard that 6 years seems to be the time to replace trailer tires. I've been doing that for many years with success. This is the 1st time that I've heard 3-years. Sounds to me like someone is hoping to be your tire supplier...

As for tire pressure, if most Trailmanors are using the original manufacturer tires, they are probably rated at around 1875# x 2 tires = 3750# total payload. The TM 2720 probably weighs close to that much when fully loaded for camping which would be 100% of the tires rating. I'm not sure about the 2417 Sport but my guess is that the tires are rated close to the GVWR of that trailer. The reason that maximum air pressure is necessary is because the tires are being loaded to their maximum weight rating. It's seldom a good idea to have tires that are barely rated enough to support the payload that they are carrying.

The Maxxis M8008 with the "E" load rating are rated at 2540# each for a total payload of 5080#. If your trailer weighs in at around 3500#, the tires are being stressed at 70% of their capacity and will run cooler and last much longer. Maxxis has a chart which tells you what air pressure to run the tires @ according to the payload.