View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #34
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgpmd1 View Post
We haven't towed it yet, the owner towed to our house using our 3.5 inch drop hitch (that's all we could find at Walmart on such sort notice, they were out of straight 2 inch ball hitches). It sagged in the front when backed into our house. We live on a cul-de-sac and it was kinda of a real tight turn into the drive. It sagged too much in the front when backing in. He said we really need a 2" straight. Not sure if we need a wdh on the Tahoe. They have a similar vehicle and seemed to be just fine. First priority is to make sure everything works first before taking it out. Want to get new tires also. I have to read up on the braking system needed for the Tahoe. We purchased a towing package, but I know we'll need to add a thing or two before we take it out.

I'm thinking of getting a front hitch for the Tahoe to make getting the TM into the drive easier.

Thanks!

Theresa
The TM would tow much safer with a WDH on your Tahoe.

You don't need a 30A outlet and breaker on your house just to run the AC and a few lights. The 30A outlet will not increase the amount of voltage to your TM. It would, however, allow you to run an additional appliance without tripping a 20A breaker. Tripping your breaker would be your only concern with using 20A service. If you find that you are having to reset the breaker a few times, you will either have to cut back on what you are running in the TM or install a 30A breaker.

One tip would be to plug the TM in for a few hours before turning on the AC so that the battery is fully charged.

If you must use an extension cord (beyond your 30A cord on the TM), be sure that it is at least a 12G HD extension cord and no longer than 50' (25' would be better). If you use a smaller gauge or longer extension cord, you will experience voltage drop that could harm the compressor on your AC unit. A 30A outlet will not improve this, it will only make it more dangerous if you use an extension cord.

If you do install a 30A breaker and need to use an extension cord, be sure to buy a 30A extension cord. If you use a 12G, 20A extension cord, you could over-heat it and have a fire if you overload it. I would rather risk a 20A breaker tripping from overload than risk using an under rated extension cord on a 30A circuit.