View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 06:38 PM   #16
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post

I am a believer in a WDH, even with heavier TVs like my F150. The WDH gets some of the geometry back into the vehicle, like the manufacturer intended. The TM tongue weights are a little heavier than most comparable sized trailers......but that is what makes them tow so well.
Chap
With a sufficiently large TV, I don't believe that anything is gained by adding a WD hitch. I also don't think that anything is lost, other than money.

I was advised by the factory that I would not need one.

I believe that the purpose of a WD hitch is to remove the sag in the rear suspension of the TV and to prevent the "bounce" that occurs at the hitch when harmonic oscillations set in. I have neither.

If you believe this, then the question becomes how big is sufficiently big? I would guess that any TV with out a frame is small enough to need a WD hitch. I am a little surprised to find out that a 1/2 ton truck also needs one. I know that when I connect the TM that my rear bumper sags about 5/8 inch and the front bumper rises less than 1/2 inch. It has never bounced.

For me, any trailer that is big enough to be required by law to have brakes installed is big enough that I want a TV with a full rigid frame. I have never been a fan of uni-body construction, ever since I watched my 1975 Pinto station wagon collapse when someone rear ended me on the freeway, while I was inside. I was stopped and the person that hit me was only doing about 45 mph. We each need to find out own level of comfort.