View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 10:22 AM   #14
Goodyear Travels

Welcome Newbees,
Since I have the same or very similar tow vehicle ('01 Tacoma, 4x4, V6, 3.4L w/ manual tranny) I thought I share a few thoughts and experiences. The tongue weight of your TM almost hits the max. rating for your Tacoma. I absolutely wouldn't go on the road without a weight distribution hitch. You need to distribute some the TM tongue weight to the front wheels of the Tacoma & to the TM axle. I have an Equalizer hitch which I installed myself that works quite well. It's a bit pricy and a bit heavy. If I had it to do over again I'd probably go with a Reese hitch and save some $$$ and some weight.
At six years old --- my rear Bilstein shocks needed to be replaced as they showed signs of leakage and no longer did their job. I replaced them with adjustable Rancho's which I really like. I turn the rear shocks up to a 6 or 7 setting when I hook up our 2720SL and with Equalizier hitch -- the Tacoma's suspension is not noticeably compressed and the truck rides perfectly. I also changed out the front struts --- but went with Monroe Magnums up front.
We just got back from a Colorado trip where we climbed some 10k ft mtn passes with a full truck bed and the TM in tow. Our Tacoma did great until about 9k ft --- then it began to labor with some of the inclines and I had to use 2nd gear (38 mph) a few times. Usually I was behind someone else who was having even more problems with power loss. I'd have to say, however, that I have had very satisfactory results with my K & N air intake system. It doesn't work well on some (even many) applications (especially Tundras) but it sure adds ahout 10 hp throughout much of the power band on my 3.4 L. You just have to be careful that you don't over oil the filter when you clean it. If you do --- you can foul the mass air flow control sensor. I've cleaned my filter twice and have had no problems. I should also note that the K & N adds somewhat to engine noise but only when you're really getting on it. Also, the Tacoma front brake rotors are very susceptible to warpage. Avoid riding the brakes if possible. When we were pulling in the mountains I increased the boost setting on the Prodigy to make the trailer brakes work a bit harder --- and I used my gearing to reduce downhill speed.
The Colorado campground that we stayed in was full of Taco's -- although most were newer than ours. Apparently, we both have a good little work pony.
Take Care, eric