View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #16
grakin

I am a new owner, but I have over 8000 miles on mine already.

I drove through Iowa in the middle of quite bad wind and rain (and tornados and floods) in the 2619 I own just two weeks ago. Let me put it this way: In that weather, I was very glad I was towing what I was towing. I watched a semi's wheels start to leave the ground in front of me, as I crawled down I-80 at 15 MPH. Some stretches of the Penn Turnpike, under construction, kept my hands tight on the steering wheel too, as the lanes were quite narrow and I didn't want to ding my TM! But it would have been much worse with a bigger unit.

But buy what you really want. Don't buy a TM if you don't want to set it up. But even a regular trailer will have setup - you still have to store your stuff, etc. I can expand and contract the TM in about 10 minutes or less. The time consuming part is backing into the site, leveling things, unhitching (although not always necessary - on a level site, my trailer hitch is exactly at the right level for a quick stay), hooking up utilities, and setting things on the counter and by the fire pit or picnic table. Putting things back always takes longer because you don't pull everything out right away! These things would still be an issue even in the largest Class A motor home. You might save time extending the leveling jacks (the Class A might have auto-leveling automatic jacks) and unhitching, but that's it. About 10 minutes I think, when I do it solo. But take this with a grain of salt - I've only owned a TM.

Would I buy another one? Right now, absolutely. But you really need to know if you want one. There are threads on the things wrong with TMs, and you might read that thread and make sure none of them are "show stoppers" for you.

Whatever you do, happy camping!