View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 08:10 AM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

If I am interpreting the pictures correctly, there are TWO areas of major separation between the sidewalls and the end walls - front right and left rear. With this much separation, you would probably end up replacing virtually all of the wood on both sides. HappyTrails (in the link Bob provided) made it sound pretty easy ... He put a detailed progress report, with lots of pics, on his web site.

In the first picture of the second set, there appears to be a substantial angle between the front shell and the rear shell - looks like the rear shell is drooping. This should not be true, and will probably call for an adjustment of the shell's position on the torsion bars, and then an adjustment of the torsion bar tension. Denny_A did this a couple years ago, and he was successful - but I don't think he enjoyed doing it. You can Search for the thread in which he described it. At the very least, be sure to open and close both shells several times, and look to see how they set and seal.

The interior? Some TLC, yes. Some elbow grease, yes. But it doesn't look too bad. Be sure to try all the appliances on all settings, and be prepared to replace at least some of them. The expensive ones are stove, refrig, and toilet, but also check the small ones like the water pump. And fill all the tanks to be sure they hold water.

Don't worry about the lack of a rear stone guard - I'm not sure how stones would hit the rear window.

I don't think the factory makes any wood-replacement kits available, any more than Ford makes kits for the famous Woodie station wagon that the Beach Boys sang about (always wanted one of those!) This is certainly not a warranty or workmanship issue. The parts and materials were not expensive - mostly aluminum tubing and screws and glue. But ask Ed - it couldn't hurt.

So if you will feel comfortable doing what HappyTrails described, consider going for it. OTOH, if you are more of a mechanical klutz, or pressed for available time, you might want to pass on this one.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote