View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 08:55 PM   #4
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Some people like to operate things; some don't. If I'm on a sailing cruise, I'm watching the crew, asking questions about handling the boat, taking a turn at the wheel or whatever I can do. My friend Jim is sitting in the shade, reading a book while hoping we get to a port soon, preferably one that has a USA today.

Some people are mechanically inclined; some aren't. I can grease the axles, air up the tires, change the light bulbs and do a few other things. Some of the others on this site could build one if they had the parts, and can (and have) maintain them and improve the factory design.

There's a lot to be said for camping (or trailering) and a lot to be said for letting somebody else do the work and pitching them the key. At today's fuel prices, it's clearly not any cheaper.

I think it's a lifestyle choice that only you can make. I tell people who ask that we just like campsites better than lobbies and there's not much else to say. We'd like a bigger shower and some things we will never have in a TM, but when we compare the whole package to the alternative we come down on the side of the TM.

In our case, it's a spare bedroom as well. When the grandkids come, they love to stay in it. When we visit the kids, or go to the farm, or to see quite a few of our friends, it's just easier to park the TM in the driveway or out behind the house and live there. Same amount of visitation and comraderie but with more privacy when it's nice to have it. I tend to think we may get more invitations because we're somewhat less intrusive, but maybe it's because of my personality and good looks. not.

You won't know for sure until you try, and there will be days that whatever decision you make will seem like a mistake. But there will be some that you will always remember. The only vacation pictures we have ever put on our wall are from a camping vacation on an island off the Washington coast in a pop-up with my parents in 1972.,

2003 3124KS drug by 2001 1500 2WD Suburban
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote