View Single Post
Old 04-22-2005, 09:43 AM   #35
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default 20 something guys and their music...solar is your best answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers
I thought it might be the music that was the big drain. But if I turn off the music in the trailer then the music will get turned on in car. That just moves the problem. During the day it might make sense to play music on the truck that will be driven the most as that one will get a chance to recharge. In a campground this won't happen. But at bike races our trailer will be the pit area with untold quantities of 20 somethings hanging out repairing bikes. I kinda like them hanging out at our place. Makes it easy to see what sort of friends our kids have. At age 16 this was a good parenting trick. At age 22 I'm just nosey.
I appreciate the problem...it's nearly impossible to separate 20 something guys from their music and just about as impossible to have the music at a low volume level (e.g. one that doesn't suck a steady 20 amps out of a battery ). I was once like that myself so I really do empathize.

Sounds to me like you need some means of automatic daily battery recharge. Solar is pretty darn good for this since it works all by itself whenever there's sunshine. Even a single 100 to 120 watt panel would give you around 7 amps in full sunshine and it would do it all day long. If you're mostly parked in open areas (like parking lots) for these bike races...where the steady use of the stereo will be highest...you'll also likely have a lot of sunshine, at least in Cali. Solar isn't cheap, but if you can keep the panels in full sun, it's a great way to keep batteries charged up when you have high and unavoidable levels of daily battery drain.

P.S. Having solar power will also most likely raise your "coolness" factor amongst your son's friends.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote