View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
thewayneo

Location: Evergreen, Colorado. Halfway between Heaven and Paradise at 8,100 ft altitude.

I did that about a year ago and was kinda nervous about wrecking it, but it did come out nice and smooth. I used a very fine tooth jig saw blade and went slow. You can see the bare wood where the 1-1/2" inch header was cut off. You could use the cut-off piece plastic trim to patch that area if you wanted to. Luckily the bare wood and plastic trim are about the same color and nobody has noticed it.

I better say: I think you should do the "unlatched test" just to be sure that you think it's OK to cut the header off. When I did the test, I even slid the latch end of the header away from the hallway wall and wiggled, pushed, pulled to make sure nothing bad happened. I've camped several times now, and with several different rowdy non-RV friends and it seems like this is just how it should have been convenience wise. Maybe TM thinks it looks better to have a header there?

I ALSO BETTER SAY: I have the older style bathroom door that does not close flush with the walls, it closes on the OUTSIDE of the walls. If you have the newer style flush closing doors then I don't know 'nuttin!
wayne

2006 2619, with REAL Flush Toilet (Sealand), NEVER ANY HOOKUPS!!!
Five-inch lift, Goodyear Marathon 15" Made in USA!
2005 Ford Explorer V8 -- WDH w/active sway
1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin
thewayneo is offline   Reply With Quote