View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 01:47 AM   #1
Mr Geek

Default Portable Solar Panels

Hello everyone. Well I finally broke down and purchased solar power for my 2005 2619. I bought two 80w portable solar panel kits as shown here: http://rvsolarnow.com/80-watt-portab...-SLP80F-12.htm

A very nice feature is when folded and packed in the included padded storage bag, both panel kits fit under the dinette seat with room to spare.

You can use up to 4 of these portable kits totaling 320 watts. With two panels I will have 160watts. My hope is to have enough power to run a nice laptop computer I use for everything from HDTV, internet, emailing and gaming that uses 130 watts, leaving 30 watts for misc low power items like LED lighting, toilet and water pump. I won’t be using the laptop all day BUT I assumed I would in my power needs.

I am not sure how the furnace will impact this, but I know it will be very significant. I have a feeling without the furnace in the mix these panels will work pretty well, but with the furnace running I am not sure I will see my voltages remain healthy. Real world testing is needed.

I got the portable type solar panels because I travel with pets and park in the shade when possible, so having the flexibility to move them around will be nice...they will be cable locked to my RV to prevent them from being stolen.

I am going to camp in my backyard to see just what is realistically doable with 160 Watts of solar power feeding my dual 6v golf cart batteries, whether it will keep the battery voltages from dropping day after day or not. I have never used solar power before so I welcome any input on the matter. I know many here have installed panels, I remember seeing Wayne’s rooftop installation that was removable while towing, a great job and idea.

Mainly I am curious whether I will need to upgrade the converter or any other issues that others have worked with that may help me obtain the best results from these new panels.

Also the dealer sent me a very helpful RV appliance and utility power usage guide that helped me figure out how many panels I needed (see attached).

I will post back how well my backyard camping tests go.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DC Appliance Power demand pdf.pdf (68.3 KB, 213 views)