View Single Post
Old 09-27-2021, 08:59 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
With the Theford Toilet being discontinued, I'm wondering about options in case of the need to replace my existing recirculating toilet.

3) Incinerating toilet. This one catches my fancy. It looks like they may be very expensive, but the idea it holds enough for a weeks worth of use without having to do anything. The ash you can just dump in the garbage on your way out.

Has anyone ever installed an incinerating toilet into a trailer?
I can give you only my one experience, and it is not recent.

Many years ago, my father built a small cabin on a lake in Maine, no larger than an upright trailer. He started with a privy out back until my mother expressed significant dissatisfaction. He then installed an incinerating toilet in the house. The installation instructions required a 6-foot vent above the peak of the roof, which he dutifully installed. But he ripped out the entire appliance after one summer. In operation, it stank way worse than anyone expected. It could be smelled literally a quarter mile away, and stink was way worse than raw poo.

You can imagine a bit o' poo sitting in a box. It smells. Now imagine applying a roaring propane flame to that bit! Poo is wet, and it takes a long time to heat up and dry out to the point where it will burn to ash, and while it heats up - well, you get the idea. Perhaps the current idea is that if you force all of the vented gas to pass through the flame, it will be de-odorized in the process. I don't know - but be sure you know before you buy one.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote