View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 11:36 AM   #1
nwhouston

Default Lower shell section at the door jam

I have an issue that may be new to the forum but I am hoping for some guidance.

I have the usual problem of not being able to push the small wing section for the lower door jam into place at set up (pin on the top of the wing into the slot on the upper shell that forms the upper door jam). I can over jack the passenger side rear stabilizer after leveling, and the passenger side edge at the door jam drops just enough to side the post into the slot.

I was going to follow Holly's guidance on adjusting the white supports for the upper shell sections that actually 'load' the torsion arms when we lower the upper sections. Just as I was loosening the first bolts, I took a look at the bottom edge of my trailer right at the left lower door jam. I can see that the bottom edge has somehow shifted up about 1/8" to maybe 1/4". This is just enough to cause the door jam issue. See pictures attached.

When I went under the trailer at that point for a look. There is one screw going up into the lower wall section. On my trailer it has a hex head drive. I backed it out just to see what it might be. It is a long (1/4" dia?) shaft that apparently has threads at the end (did not pull it all the way out as I do not know what it engages). Based on how long it is, and the absence of threads on the four inches I did back out, I am guessing there is some bracket up in the lower wall section that this bolt is holding. When I re tightened the bolt (or screw) it did not pull the bottom section into alignment, but I wonder if the bracket has shifted in the wall and that is why I have the deflection along my bottom edge right at the door.

My questions for the forum:
Has anyone else seen this bottom edge deflection at their door?
Has anyone pulled out the bolt to replace it?
Called the factory to find out what it does?
Have a view on what it might be for and the risks with pulling it all the way out?
Have any suggestions on how to restore this passenger side edge to level at the door?

As always I appreciate any help and guidance. Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pix looking up under trailer at deflection point.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	15837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pix of deflection at door.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	15838  
2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L 6 speed auto