View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #9
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Being in the rear compartment with a vent I am going to need to build a custom battery box since have wet GC2s (AGMs would not need but would have doubled the price and Solar controllar says wet cell only (I know an AGM s a sealed wet cell...).

Meanwhile with the float charge port now under the bumper cover the rear comparment is pretty much complete and can build a battery box. Think the ends will need to be 1/16" plastic since really no room left but first need to tidy up the cables. Note the vent behind the batteies.

AWG 2 cables are to feed the 1KW inverter in the next compartment. Bit of overkill but coffee maker draws 700W and have measured 63A on the 12v line & cables were pre-formed and cheap. Fast disconnect box has 100A breaker for inverter and two 30A breakers for solar and WFO box. 10A blade fuse is for float charger. Probably do not need the disconnect between the two batteries.

The two GC2s provide 210AH. May go to the 260s (3/4 inch taller) when these go but with multiple energy sources including 200W of solar (and we are the sunshine state though thunderstorm state might be more appropriate this time of year).

This install was designed to allow room for the generator to sit in here also.

Cbossc: the KD also has a slide. Where do you plan to mount two Grp 31s ? Stacked ? AGMs could be mounted creatively.

I like the Duracell AGM grp 31 from Sam's (had one in my Vixen but also two GC2s) and one is about the same price as my two conventional GC2s but also about half the AH.

Right now am concentrating on running my AC from a single generator that fits in the rear compartment (why everything else is a bit wedged to leave the maximum space),

It is interesting how fast our capabilities are expanding ond how inexpensive it can be. Have an SCR box coming in that should reduce my AC starting current under 20A and will be running a "small generator shoot out" with the old reliable but pricy EU2000i against a couple of imports for half the price.

Criteria is simple:
1) Reliably Start the AC at 100F (or close) in the sun.
2) Fit in rear compartment (& light enough to lift)
3) Quiet
4) Able to run 8 hours on a tank.

Anything else ?

Personally think this is the kind of package TM should be offering. Do not think a grp 24 and 80w of solar is enough for modern needs. My Judge was fine with the optional 55A alternator (w/AC) while my Jeep has a 160A. Modern times.

ps my rear compartment is 14.5" wide. Is it larger on the 2922 and 3124 king models ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battcomp.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	11792