View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015, 09:44 AM   #8
Skyjim73

Default Sundry observations after first trip... My opinions, YMMV

To continue from the original post, some things we noticed along the way...

For us, the cassette toilet is a good option - but we do a lot of dry camping. I'm a big guy, and while the swivel seat was at first just a giggle-inducer when we discovered it in the dealer lot, out in the field, for somebody my size, it is useful. The whole thing seems pretty lightly constructed, so I treat it as gently as possible...

Speaking of the cassette toilet, if you order one, make SURE the flow restrictor that Thetford provides in the installation kit gets installed. Any pump pressure at all will cause the nozzle to direct some clean water out over the lip of the bowl on the upper left side facing the bowl - about 10 or 11 o'clock.

The water pump is really noisy. Looked briefly at it during pre-delivery, and it isn't a Shurflo unless they have changed their case designs a lot. Noted another poster with a new unit got a Chinese made pump. Might be in mine, too. I will probably change it out for something with an accumulator to damp pulses.

REALLY glad we got the King bed model, not just for the bed size , but for those deep storage areas beneath. Very useful!

IMHO the LED light fixtures being installed in new TMs have way too much glare and the color is a little too starkly white. Feel like interrogation lights. Effort to cycle them on/off is also pretty high - almost more force than my wife can easily apply. The three reading lamps along the front wall are the nicest lights in the unit. I'm already looking for some low profile LED replacements for at at least some of the front ceiling lights. Need a more restful reading light option in that area.

The Fiamma awning really needs tiedowns in any decent breeze.

The lightweight countertop material needs edging of some sort to protect it from damage. Too fragile to hold up over the long haul, I fear.

DW and I are turning 60 this year, and heading into geezerhood, our backs need better support than the factory foam mattresses provide. We have put a pair of 3 inch twin XL memory foam toppers on the King bed, and they helped immensely. (Two twin XLs worked better with the TM bed dimensions than the Cal Kings in stock at our local Bed, Bath & Beyond store). It is a little harder to close the rear shell, but not much.
3124KB delivered 5/2015 - early unit from Nebraska. TM installed Dometic compressor fridge, lower battery rails, 4AWG batt cable, and PD converter during build. Custom RV installed cassette toilet, two 260 AH 6V batts, 2 UniSolar 64 solar panels, Morningstar MPPT controller/meter.

Tow vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman CC 4x4 3.0 diesel.
Skyjim73 is offline   Reply With Quote