View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015, 08:27 AM   #7
Skyjim73

I was told by Custom RV that the problem was a reversed wiring problem on the DC hookup. Fortunately there appear to have been no ill effects on the fridge.

I have run mine during towing, started with unit well chilled along with contents from a night on AC power prior to departure. Ran the factory fridge fan (it is a bit noisy, but lack of airflow is going to just kill any fridge's ability to reject heat with the TM folded) and transitioned to DC power a few minutes before departure. (Hey, I'm an old rocket/space shuttle guy. The bird waits till the last minute or two prior to T-zero to go on internal power... ).

Living in Southern California, many of my trip profiles will involve tows through hot low elevation environments en route to cooler destinations. The 3 way absorption fridges in RVs I've previously owned typically performed poorly en route to my camping spots, not really staying cold enough for safe meat storage on many trips, even after long pre-chills in the driveway. I installed the solar panels primarily because I wanted to be able to reduce or eliminate battery drain by the compressor fridge during these transits.

With the caveat that I only have one trip to go on, and I may wind up tweaking things like my panel choice and remote meter (I might decide I really need the comprehensive data from a Trimetric or E-meter to manage the battery bank, but the Morningstar remote meter has a lot of data logging capability on daily min/max bank voltage and solar amps in), I'd say that I was happy with both the battery health and fridge temperature (34 degrees on my little hanging thermometer) on camp arrival on this trip. I got a little cocky in fact and was running a second portable compressor fridge in the TM for the first couple of days, but that was pulling me down too fast and I consolidated the contents into the main fridge on day three and ran the generator two one hour stints that day to pour amps back into the batteries. That is where the ability to manually keep the PD 4600 converter in 14.4 V "boost" charge mode (I would have called it bulk charge stage on my old Heart systems) during generator runs while monitoring the battery voltage came in really handy. Having the larger charge cables in place also kept my voltage losses down on the longish run from the converter near the bathroom up to the batts on the tongue.

As noted I got a lot of shade since i didn't do a very good job of placing the rig this time, so more experience is needed. But the panels had me fully charged or very close to it after 550 miles of running through mostly 105 degrees plus conditions with the fridge operating and the fridge fan running.
3124KB delivered 5/2015 - early unit from Nebraska. TM installed Dometic compressor fridge, lower battery rails, 4AWG batt cable, and PD converter during build. Custom RV installed cassette toilet, two 260 AH 6V batts, 2 UniSolar 64 solar panels, Morningstar MPPT controller/meter.

Tow vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman CC 4x4 3.0 diesel.
Skyjim73 is offline   Reply With Quote