View Single Post
Old 02-04-2005, 09:49 PM   #6
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleRockCamper
This raises an in-depth question: If the TM is level but the Tow vehicle is not, what options are available?

---Add a WDH, while this is probably the most common solution, but what if the height (stance) of the vehicle is too high to tow the TM level?

*Should you add a leaf to your rear suspension?
*Should you add springs or air shocks to the tow vehicle?
*If you use springs or air shocks, should you use a draw bar with a drop to make the TM level?
*If you use springs, air shocks, or add a leaf, should use a lift kit for the TM to make the TM level for towing?

By trying to correct one issue do you create another, making the TM unlevel (Front higher than the rear) for safe towing? I suppose the question is at what degree is it unsafe to tow the TM?

I believe some WDH's have a small drop built within the system, but will that be enough for Mike?
The ONLY solution is to use a WDH to level the tow vehicle and never, ever to use any booster spring or air system for tow vehicle leveling.

Once the tow vehicle is level, the trailer is leveled by raising or lowering the hitch's ball mount relative to the hitch shaft. Unlike the fixed drop of non weight distributing hitches, nearly all WDH have a fairly wide range of "drop" adjustability (typically 7 inches, some have as much as 12 inches) between the ball mount and the center of the shaft. For instance, when I used my Jeep for towing, the hitch shaft was 14 inches off the ground; with my Tundra the hitch shaft is 17 inches off the ground and that would have caused my trailer to be very hitch high/tail low. But since the hitch shaft ends in an modified L-shape, all I had to do was unbolt the WDH's ball mount from its hitch shaft (L had been pointing up), then flip the hitch shaft over (put the L pointing downward) and rebolt the ball mount to it at a different vertical bolt slot. Even though the hitch shaft is now 3 inches further from the ground, the distance from the top of the ball to the ground wound up exactly the same and so the trailer is still level.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote