Thread: TV Insanity
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 02:01 PM   #5
IBON4IT

Default TV Insanity

Thanks for all the fantastic advice everybody! This was all very helpful and gave me some enthusiasm back.

Bill's post was especially helpful as it gave me some idea of the costs involved in "gearing up" if we buy a TV that doesn't already have a tow package. Do you guys think we can tow our 3023 with a third generation (1996-2002) Toyota 4-Runner? The 3.4L V-6 has a 5K# tow capacity, which I know is pretty near the limit of what we'll need. There is a performance chip you can add which alledgedly gives you ~22 more HP. As Bill pointed out we'd need sway control with a 4-Runner due to it's pretty short 105" wheel base (length is 183"). We probably can't afford to buy as new as 2003 when the V-8 engine was first introduced into the 4-Runner. This must be what Mike is using to tow his 3124, right?

The 3.4L V-6 4-Runner is rated to tow 5K lbs but it also has 1185 lbs of payload capacity. I believe that I've read somewhere that once you hook up your TV to your trailer that the tongue weight transfers to the TV so that weight comes off the payload as opposed to towing capacity. Is this true? If so, I ought to be okay with the 4-Runner. As I understand it, the gen 3's are very torquey and pull well at low speeds. We may not be the fastest up the hill but the question is: can we make it? Of course, we'll have to subtract the weights of the tow package stuff from that payload capacity as well.

I really love the '96-'02 4-Runner in every way. It fills every bill in terms of PRICE, economy, seating, room for the dogs, room for gear, reliability and availability. Now, the question is, is 5K enough tow capacity? My husband and I would typically be alone when traveling in mountainous terrain far from home. The kids and dogs come along locally only. If we keep the gear weight down by keeping to: One 20-30 lb bag of personal gear/person, ~20#'s of cooking gear, 2 medium sized coolers (~100# total), one food bin weighing <20 lbs, 2 aluminum chairs, 2 sleeping bags and 2 pillows (no microwave, no extra books or paper, no extra lanterns or fuel) I figure we're looking at a total typical payload of <600 lbs. There's plenty of capacity left for the tongue if I'm correct about that weight transferring. The 3023 we bought has a few extra options so it is heavier than the 2915# shown on the TM website. It's probably more like 3400# dry. We will carry all our gear, except for the lightweight kitchen stuff, in the TV so the weight will definitely be in front of the trailer axle as Mike suggested and we won't load water until we reach the campground as Inussbau suggested. We will resist "gear creep" as Bill suggests by completely emptying out the trailer after each trip.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm figuring the trailer weight at 3500# dry after loading anything and everything that would be kept permanently in it for all trips. All else would be hauled in the vehicle 85% of the time. The rest of the time we'd be sticking to fairly flat land. What do you think? Am I wishful thinking?

Bill, did you get my post about places to beach camp in San Diego? That's where I'm writing from and the weather is beautiful today! Please do not hesitate to ask more questions about SD. I've enjoyed living here all my life and know most of the nooks and crannies.

Thanks,
Cindy