View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
JANETT

Default TIRE BLOWOUT/ passenger side thankfully

We left for vacation at 430 am......by 530 am I had a blowout on the interstate. I have a 2006 2619, bought it used. Anyway we put on the spare (a never used one) and waited at a rv dealer for them to open, then found out that the tire needed to be ordered. After lengthy delay we went back home and called around and all rv dealers had to order the tire. I didn't know it was that unique. Anyway we had camper world in Seffner Florida order it for us and the next morning they took us in right away to replace the other used tire on the rig with the new one and then use the used tire as a spare. They looked at the tire I took to be brand new (which it was) and cautioned that is was 5 years old, and although the tread was perfect that the tire was questionable due to age. I took their advice and replaced both tires on the rig with new ones although it meant a couple of hour longer delay for our vacation. The lesson learned was that age not milage is more important to tire durability. Not only did camping world steer me right, now,I have read extensively on the tire on the internet and the manufacturers concur....just a word of caution for new owners like us, if the tires are 3-4 years old have them checked or replaced.

p.s. You do not want a blow out, it shredded and even wrapped around the axle( had to have breaks checked for damage) if it had been on the plumbing side I know I would have wiped out a large portion of it. TM should engineer a shield for that side of the unit.