View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Wind wings disappeared about the time people stopped using desert bags on their bumpers and side mirrors.

fwiw, I get a radiator flush every 2 to 30 years in all of my vehicles. Be aware that you probably can not do this at home because the used coolant is a hazardous waste.
30 years is a little long.......

Again.....be sure to use anti-freeze/coolant at the recommended rate. Some coolants are concentrated and must be mixed with a certain ratio of water. Some are pre-mixed and you just use it right out of the bottle (do not add water).

The key is keeping the coolant from boiling. Water will boil @ 180*. Weak coolant solution may boil @ 235*. A proper mixture should not boil below 280-370*. Just be careful not to get the concentration too high. That's the other evil. If the concentration is too high, the boiling point will be higher but the cooling capacity will be lower and thus it will reach boiling sooner. Nothing cools batter than straight water, however, straight water has too low of a boiling point......thus, the coolant. The coolant doesn't cool better, it just raises the boiling point.

For people in warmer climates, it's best to aim for protection @ ~280*. In cold climates, one must be careful to balance the protection from freezing to your particular area. In some cases, It could be wise to run a higher concentration in winter and a lower concentration in summer or on long trips that might encounter extreme temps.

No matter what.....I would change that 160* thermo to at least a 195*. Running the engine at lower temps will increase the wear and tear on the engine.