View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 05:51 AM   #30
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
A question. Anyone ever see or experience an overloaded hitch breaking off?

You know that some folks are oblivious to weights, so there have been some egregious offenders out there.

Tom M.
Tom,
When you google "trailer accident" you get pages and pages of stories about trailers coming loose from their tow vehicles (with the lawyers running after them, because loose trailers kill innocent victims). A few involve hitch component failures, most involve a failure to use proper equipment like safety chains, and the majority seem to be short on common sense in some important way.

And yeah, I suppose we could think of the egregious offenders as some kind of wacky test pilots (like the guy I saw coming into the campground on last 4th of July weekend with a 27 foot TT on a bumper hitch ball, with no wires or chains attached; I was hoping that maybe he just lived up the road and never goes over 40mph with that).

And, speaking of wacky test pilots, the Boy Scouts offer a lot of those opportunities. Somehow important lessons don't get taught at home, like "You'll be hungry if you don't pay attention and lose your dinner into the fire."
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote