View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007, 02:09 PM   #9
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Exclamation Check out the '2007 Lexus RX-350 tow question' thread....

This one: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6398

Your 2006 Vue is pretty close in size and capabilities to their vehicle and the "Highlander" equivalents (although with less leather and expensive gizmos ). They actually do have plenty of power for just about anything short of Highway 108 into California from the Nevada side (grades exceeding 20%, DON'T try it). Yeah, you'll probably be slow on the steeper grades. And the stopping is OK, too-- the trailer's own brakes do a lot of the stopping.

But in emergency maneuvers, when something happens and the trailer isn't in line with your Vue... or had just previously been pointed in a different direction and has lots of momentum going in that direction... or a tire blows out in a switchback... the TAIL really wants to wag the DOG, and the tail is very likely to win when the dog is so small. The TMs are great in crosswinds, because they're so low, and it is fairly light-- but don't discount the effects all that momentum pushing your TV's rear end SIDEWAYS!!!
- - - - -

Some people love towing with a vehicle in this class. I wouldn't dare.But my vehicle is significantly smaller than Leon's, and he says that he wouldn't dare to tow with mine! You choose your level of risk. I'm just posting to make sure that you understand where the risk really lies-- it's NOT in having enough drivetrain horsepower and torque, it's in the emergencies. Don't underestimate the difference between maintaining control in front of a 1500 lb. pop-up and a 4000 lb. TM !!! (Yeah, 4000 pounds-- it's the total weight, not just the axle weight, which determines the momentum and which you need to control.)