View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
[member hat on][moderator hat off]
Originally posted by ScrubJaysNest:ScrubJay -

I'm a little confused by part of the question, so please don't beat me up too badly if I've missed something.

What does the bumper rating have to do with anything? Since the factory receiver is not mounted on the bumper, but is bolted to the frame, I would expect it to be independent of the bumper rating. Seems to me that mention of the bumper rating is what we used to call a confusion factor - it is irrelevant to the discussion, but clouds the issue.

I think your question is
"Why does the factory reciever have a rating of 5000 pounds with a weight-bearing hitch, and a rating of 12,000 pounds with a weight-distriuting hitch?" If I am right, I think you asked a good question. Am I in the ball park?

Bill
[/hats off]
That is the real question since I use the frame mounted receiver with a older Reese trunion bar style wdh.

The bumper is a secondary question and just adds to my confusion about Dodge ratings because I've never seen a bumper rated that high.

I do know that receiver ratings increase with the use of a WDH whether factory or after market.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote