View Single Post
Old 11-23-2022, 11:41 AM   #4
NatureBitz

Thanks for the encouragement!

I would be towing in flat Florida, at least at the outset, so no mountain passes to deal with. I agree with Waverly that stopping is most important, and have to remind myself at the start of any trip to leave a ton of stopping distance. Of course that means people will tend to cut me off and pull in front of me; just back off and arrive safely if lately.

About Toyota's eCVT transmission:
For hybrid models, Toyota actually uses something called an e-CVT system. This is nothing like a classic CVT system. The electric part of the hybrid powertrain uses single planetary gear sets that simulate various gear ratios that efficiently use all of the engine’s power. This combined CVT system is incredibly reliable with many Toyota Hybrids like the Prius covering more than 300,000 miles with no problems at all. With proper maintenance, any Toyota CVT system should last you for a lifetime of the car.
I couldn't find a video that deals with the Highlander Hybrid transmission, but here is one that tears down the equivalent Prius unit. Changing the fluid every 50k is important if towing.

Thanks again!
NatureBitz is offline   Reply With Quote