Thread: 15" LT tires
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
BeerCan

I'll admit my tire problem seems to be one that is more speed related. I have pulled many trailers in my life (though this is my first camper) and I have always traveled the speed limit. Where I live (Florida) all vehicles are allowed to travel the posted speed limit. Doing 70 on a tire that is rated for 65 is past the tire makers recommendation. If I was to get a blowout at 70 I would have no recourse because I was in excess of recommendations. LT tires are not prohibited on trailers and the major concern with st/lt tires seems to be ozone degradation and flat spotting of the tires from sitting extended periods of time. Both those items can be overcome with a little work.

I have found nothing stating that lt tires are illegal on trailers so I should be good there. I also think that if I do not overload them there should not be a problem. The hardest part is finding a suitable lt tire in the 15" size. Could lead to problems if I am on the road and need a replacement.

If I do go st I think I will use the maxxis tires. Seem to be the best option, though on the road they may be as hard to find as the lt tires.

I am going to load up the trailer next week and go get it weighed so I can see exactly what my weight is before I buy. That should help make the decision easier.