View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 04:40 PM   #5
br2_wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Finally, you mention that the TM passed the Maryland state inspection. Do you have any idea what that inspection includes? I'm not knowledgable, but I would bet that it centers around safety issues that would effect other dirvers - adequate tire tread, safety chains, breakaway switch, lack of hanging hunks of sheet metal, and so forth. Does it give you confidence that the trailer will actually tow successfully for a long distance? I don't know, but you might want to go to the Maryland DMV site online and see exactly what is inspected.

And for what it is worth, if you elect to have your trailer hauled, be sure to understand whether they will (or can) haul it as a triple with another trailer. At least one of our members has a horror story to tell about a triple haul that included his TM.

You need to be sure you do your homework in depth before you decide. The $500 difference you mention might not be the final arbiter.

Bill
Good Evening Bill:
I grew up in Maryland live in the area and am well versed in what a Maryland Inspection means, and while it's more then just a safety inspection for lights, etc ... , it's unfortunately only as good as the inspector doing it. So most dealers have an arrangement with a gas station or local inspection station were diligence may not be the top priority. So I would be skeptical of anything other then the basics being checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCfamily View Post
Thank you Bill for the thorough reply. I placed a listing on U-Ship to get some bids and the ones to tow were around $1,500. I am currently using an auto transport broker to find someone to haul, and the estimate they gave me is $2,000. These are fully insured delivery companies and I will definitely ask regarding the break down in the middle of delivery, delays, and the full process prior to hiring someone. These rates are with flexible dates so the delivery company can fill out a load.

I also contacted a few other auto transport companies and their rates are $3,500 and up.

The statement regarding how TMs are delivered to the dealerships came from the dealership my TM is at, to justify their recommendation. And it appears they don't really have the full picture either.

Again, thank you. I'll look into ABF U-Pack and the antique auto transport.
Hello OCFamily ... welcome to the forum! I feel your pain and frustration of limited options, and understand your situation completely, but I wanted to share some of my thoughts specifically to this unit.

I believe I saw it online this afternoon at a Maryland dealership in Joppa, MD. My main question from the pictures is the front window cover doesn't appear to have the Trailmanor logo. So best case it somehow got cracked and was simply replaced, and worst case the front shell was hit hard enough to do enough damage to replace the cover, which could mean alignment or some other unknown issues with the front shell.

My other question is similar to Bill's in terms of a "good deal". When you factor in the approximately $2,000 for shipping, the price advantage you mentioned shrinks, and this also cuts into your funds to make any necessary repairs. Let's say repairs run approximately an additional $2000, which puts us around $13,000 total. IMHO, you are no longer in the "good deal" category, just an OK deal, and no ability to have the dealer fix something they said was OK in order to get you to buy it!

I am pretty certain with some patience and some time, you'll find something closer to you that meets your needs and will be as good or better deal. But if you have already purchased it, then Bill's suggestions on transport options make the most sense and I'm sure the forum can help with any other issues you may find once you get the unit. Either way good luck!
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote