View Single Post
Old 03-14-2006, 05:09 PM   #8
angler_2

Default Interference with emergency brake sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grlewis1
I also own the 2006 2720SL model and had the 600 lb Equal-i-lizer hitch installed. The only problem I had with this installation was the sway bars. I mounted the trailer bracket just before the emergency brake sensor, so it would not interfere with that function. The sway bars however was one inch too long and would hit the slide out bolts on the trailer. I took the sway bars to a machine shop and had one inch trimmed off. The hitch now works perfectly. You will truly love this hitch the first time an 18 wheeler passes you at 80 miles an hour... Your rig will be rock steady on the road....
Thanks for the info. I am buying a 2000 used. Not sure if there is any change in placement of emergency brake sensor between a 2000 and a 2006. Would be good insurance for me to have the one inch cut off the sway bar here when hitch arrives Thursday before our long trip to pick up the trailer. If you didn't have any problems with propane tanks interfering, doubt if I will also. I am buying two different hitch shanks. One so I can use my F150 and the other for a jeep liberty. Not sure if this would alter the situation any. As rtcassel mentioned above I might get away with lightly altering adjustment but he has a Tundra TV and 1000 lb model hitch. If I'm using the Jeep Liberty as my TV with a 600 lb model, this is a border line rig to begin with and would want to be able to adjust properly. Even though it'll be four lane interstate all the way with no winding mountain roads, maybe the best way to go is to plan on using my Ford F150 to pick it up with sway bars cut off 1 inch. That way, even if I run into problems and have to slightly adjust hitch for trip home, the Ford would better handle any sway problems instead of the short wheel based jeep liberty. Then once it's home safe and sound, I can take it out on some test spins on the mountains around here with the liberty. I'm really interested in seeing how safely the diesel liberty handles the 2720sl because I'd rather get the the get 22-24 mpg instead of the 14-16 I might get with the Ford. Darn, had my heart set on making the maiden voyage with the Liberty .....